Thursday 19 January 2012

It's in the Genes

My favourite science question: are we a product of our environment?

I wanted to perhaps come up with a scientific theory why some people are so picky, but after thinking about it, maybe there isn't a specific reason.




Being picky, I have discovered, can come from many different sources. Perhaps it's your environment and what people around you like to eat. Maybe your parents forced you to eat your broccoli and now you love it, or maybe that's the reason why you despise it. Perhaps it could be a part your genetic makeup and your brain tells you what you like and don't like. Or perhaps for no reason at all your just annoyingly selective and are a brat when it comes to what you like to eat (like me). Here's a peek and my genetic picky background (sorry rents).


My mom is genetically picky. She basically has no choice. She is lactose and tolerant, diabetic, allergic to broccoli and cauliflower, and was a vegetarian for as long as I can remember but has just started eating chicken for health reasons. She has like no options. She doesn't take any diabetic medications so she has to eat a certain way in order to keep her blood sugar good. I could never eat that way, nor could I not drink milk. I drink a 4L to myself. Her genetics tell her what she can eat, and it also might be a pre-programmed thing if you have a distain for let's say, seafood.


My dad is the total other end of the spectrum. He can eat what he wants, but he chooses not to like it. He's raised Ukrainian Canadian, but he doesn't like what his dad liked. My Grandpa would like to eat everything really rare, and maybe that caused my dad to act the opposite. My dad will burn things. He'll leave his burger on the BBQ way longer than me until they are dark little nuggets of burgers. My dad is also particular like I am about the little things. He microwaves his plate before he puts food on it, he always makes a square pizza so there's more crust, and he must only use his favourite bowl, plate, cup, mug, fork, spoon, and knife.


I must be just annoyingly selective for no reason, because my brother tosses my theories of experience and genetics out the window. We both have the same genetic picky background and same childhood environment, but we like total opposite things. I hate, but he likes: spicy food, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut, raw garlic, and won't eat McDonalds. I really like Micky D's and I have a passion for seafood, my bro won't even eat a shrimp.


I think that particular theories could work for certain people, but altogether I'm not sure if there can be a sure fire scientific theory (except it would be cool if there was). I suppose as a race we just have to learn to not be so picky.


There you go, a blog about psychology and food .

No comments:

Post a Comment