Monday 10 October 2011

Geese Migration Dinner

Once a year Events by Emma has a dinner in the fall at the Fort Whyte Centre for the geese migration. Vendors and the EBE staff, including myself, all had a wonderful dinner on Friday night.

I had gotten an email with the three meal choices, which were the usual beef, chicken and fish, but of course I had to find something wrong with all of them.

Unfortunately I don't have photos, but this was the amazing menu:




GOOSE FLIGHTS - Dinner & A Show Menu

Salad: Baby Spinach Salad with sundried cherries, fresh berries, Bosc pears and Saskatoon berry vinaigrette served with fresh baked focaccia and grilled flatbread.  

Main: Slow Roasted Prime Rib of Beef crusted with fresh rosemary and peppercorns served with wild prairie mushroom jus.
–or–
Grilled Chicken Dijonanaise served with french mustard tarragon sauce.
–or–
Stuffed Pickerel Fillet served with shrimp, scallops, roasted red pepper mousse.
All entrees are served with the daily vegetable selection.  

Dessert: Daily selection

Now it all sounds delicious but I dislike mushrooms with the steak, I can't stand mustard in the sauce for the chicken, and I'm not crazy about scallops or the sound of red pepper mousse. I knew no one was going start asking for things to be removed or added and I didn't want to reveal my pickiness, so I went with the fish.

It was incredible! The stuffing in the fish was amazing. The fish itself was moist but with a little crunch on the outside, and spices. With so much food, and a few Caesars I might add, I was ridiculously full. I couldn't even finish my desert, which is rare for me. Desert was a chocolate whoopee pie with pumpkin cheese cake filling, chocolate ice-cream, a little caramel sauce and a raspberry on top all by Chocolate Zen, who does a lot of baking for Emma's weddings.

I hate pumpkin flavoured anything, but I gave it a go. Pumpkin is just not my thing, I ate most of the ice-cream but by that point everyone was so full that barely any deserts got finished.

The salad was adorable, I did not even want to break it. A long thin piece of cucumber held the salad together perfectly, carrot sticks acting like toothpicks. It was right up my alley with dried fruit and a sweet dressing. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

There was another item on my diner plate I had never tried: sweet potato. That orange little mound was so different, I couldn't even tell if I liked it. I think it might have been too sweet for the rest of my plate but now I'd probably give sweet potato fries a shot now!

The down side was the weather was so awful the geese had such a hard time landing in the lake. But it was incredible! So many geese!!! The clouds threw them off a bit because the usually all come at sundown, so the poor little guys had to rearrange thier plans.

I have a total soft spot for geese; when they find thier partner they are together for life, they become lost without thier other goose. I've seen when one goose gets hit by a car and the other goose just doesn't know what to do, trying to dodge traffic to get to thier partner. So now you can say to your loved one "you're my goose."

It was an delicious meal, and I haven't seen the EBE staff since school started, so it was great catching up and visiting with the girls. I miss you EBE and can't wait for a whole summer of weddings next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment