Monday 19 September 2011

Sushi Skeptic

My picky side is definitely shining through when I ordered from the sushi menu. Though some of the ingredients sound pretty good together, I can't help but feel the urge to start asking if they can take some ingredients and replace them with things I like. Mayo! I hate mayo! It's in the California and Dynamite roll I ordered. Ugh. But I am really going to try to put my fussiness in the back of my mind and focus on a whole new type of food that I could potentially fall in love with. (Yes, I fall in love with food.)

The whole concept of raw fish is kind of freaking me out, don't get me wrong I love seafood but that's when it's piping hot! I'm unsure why but I can be very particular about food temperature.

Besides the two raw fish dishes I ordered the Bagel roll with smoked salmon, with cream cheese, I really don't care for cream cheese.... I have a feeling I might try and scrape it out and leave it to be on the side. That's thing about the way I eat, I'm very meticulous. I like to organize and build a perfect bite. You should see the way I cook!  

***


I don't know about this whole sushi thing.

I really think I should try and make my own. I'm going to create the most customized roll! I would use the smoked salmon from the bagel roll, which was my favourite one. I didn't care for the proportions; some of them would be good for the first bite, then just flat out disappoint me with the flavours. I would have loooved a bigger piece of fish in the rolls, and some garlic or spice. I'll admit I didn't put any soya as advised, but that's because I wanted the sushi to impress me on their own! Sadly, I am yet to be wowed by the flavour I suspected it would have.

Maybe I just don't get it. If I think of all the necessary changes needed to make this dish irresistible it would probably turn it into a hot stir-fry loaded with seafood, veggies and a really good sauce. But then it wouldn't be sushi.

I gotta say though that the girl working there was so super friendly when I made my order and I had no clue what I was doing. When I picked it up, she explained everything, being the noob that I am.

I'm not apposed to eating it per-say, but I don't fully enjoy as much I as I thought I would.  There's just so many things I would change, personally. I kinda want to throw it in the microwave. But I don't think I've given it a fair chance yet, seeing as I only tried three things on the menu. There's tons of sushi places around the city that could offer different  taste, and I'm just not sure if I've made up my mind if I like it or not. I checked out Izumi Sushi on regent, though I heard about some good in more central Winnipeg, which I think I should try before giving up on Sushi!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make you candy sushi one day! You might like it but if not, at least you'll have something to blog about :P

    ReplyDelete