Thursday 1 December 2011

Maybe it's worse than I thought

I’m googleing away for stuff picky eaters usually don’t eat and maybe I should try. Like a myth or something that my people and I just don’t eat. And I find my way onto Wikipedia (not a good source I know) and there’s actually a disorder in which prevents a person from not wanting to try new foods and only sticking to a limited diet. It’s called a Selective Eating Disorder.

Selective eating disorder (SED) (also known as fussy eating, picky eating, or perseverative feeding disorder) is an eating disorder that prevents the consumption of certain foods.

"Selective eating is the little-studied phenomenon of eating a highly limited range of foods, associated with an unwillingness to try new foods. Common in toddlers, it can persist into middle childhood and adolescence in a small number of children, most commonly boys. When this happens, social avoidance, anxiety and conflict can result."

I’m suffering from a serious disorder here. Well I’m not sure what happened that makes me just disgusted by the sight or smell of certain foods. But now I feel like I have a perfectly good reason to get out of that awkward situation when you’re at someone’s house and they offer you a whole load of stuff and you’re like “oh no thanks. I ate just before I got here." It’s not you or your food, it’s me.


 “Oh Grandma that looks like such good lasagna, but I can’t I have SED. Yes, I know, it’s too bad isn’t it.”


So maybe I’ll exploit this for a bit, or go through some serious soul searching and find the root of my problem, and maybe one day I’ll like lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment